Game Editing > General Content Creation

[Unity] Fantasy asset pack prefabs

(1/6) > >>

ratty redemption:
Hi everyone, i've been working with kat's meshes and textures from his commercial fantasy set. i will be offering for free my unity prefabs here on katsbits, for anyone who purchased his set. when i've finished converting all his meshes to prefabs, including writing scripts for some of the dynamics. it's a lot of work as it's well over a 100 of them. i'm currently about 80% done.

In the meantime here's some screencaps of one of kat's dynamic levers (which i'll be adding scripts to in the near future) as well one of his static archways. the green boxes are the unity compound colliders, and are child objects of the parent container object. the mesh renderer is another child object.

The red version is just a couple of colored directional lights i use when working with the primitive colliders to help them stand out more, the original stone and wood materials are unmodified.

[EDIT] topic split from original here, as it deserves its own discussion. kat

ratty redemption:
if i remember correctly, the main reason for using unity's built in colliders as opposed to mesh colliders, is the physic engine is a lot slower at testing each tris in a mesh, than it is testing the primitive shapes like box, sphere and capsule, even when there are more of the latter.

so while it does work using a collision mesh exported from blender, our games should in theory run faster if we keep the mesh colliders to a minimum, for example a terrain, which would be impractical to build using primitives.

ratty redemption:
this image shows a collision test i did to work out if we could use box colliders for roundish prefabs. although the results are pretty decent and performed well with my own character controller, the amount of transform rotated box colliders were too time consuming to use in production. so i'll likely use a single convex mesh collider for cases like this in the future.

these next three images show a light blocker sub object. this is used to fix light leaks in the real time shadows. apparently certain step, or corner shapes, in the render meshes can sometimes produce thin streaks of light where shadows should be cast.

kat:
Noicely done (nicely done)!. Helps clear up the discussion under the Unity collisions video as well.

ratty redemption:
he he, thanks kat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version